Masthead-colour
LakelogoCol
Banner-Purple

The early days

Golf has been played at Albert Park since 1897, making it one of the oldest golf courses continuously played in Victoria. Many of the oldest golf clubs such as Royal Melbourne have moved location over time.

Initially a private Club, the Albert Park Golf Club, designed and set up the original nine hole golf course on land leased from the Albert Park Trust Committee of Management.

In 1931 the Albert Park Golf Club lengthened the golf course from 9 holes to 18 to meet the standard length of a golf course.

Post war – becoming a public course

In June 1947 the lease for the private club was not renewed as the Victorian government decided that the golf course should become public. The Albert Park Golf Club subsequently moved to Keysborough and established what is currently known as the Keysborough Golf Club.

A small group of 20 ladies continued to play at Albert Park and they formed a club known as Lakeside Ladies Associates (LLA) based at the Albert Park Golf Course. LLA subsequently became affiliated with the Victorian Golf League Associates (VGLA) in 1953. Our Club members have been playing continuously at Albert Park since that date.

Initially LLA held competitions only on Tuesdays. Given that some women were playing golf on Saturdays and Sundays due to work commitments, LLA requested permission from the VGLA to hold Saturday and Sunday competitions. Whilst the request was initially declined, LLA persisted and permission was finally granted. This was quite an achievement at a time when women were rarely seen playing golf at a weekend let alone on a public golf course.

In 1970 Sunday competitions ceased.

In 1987 the Club changed its name from Lakeside Golf Club Associates to Lakeside Ladies Golf Club Inc. (LLGC).

To the present – victory to save our golf course

In 2017 Parks Victoria released a draft Master Plan which proposed that the Albert Park Golf Course be reduced in size to enable other activities take place on the land where the golf course is located. LLGC played an important role in putting the lid on this proposal and saving the 18 hole golf course.

Ladies at the LLGC have over the years shown their ability to stand up on issues that affect the golf course and the Club be it fighting for the rights of Saturday players or saving the golf course for future generations of golfers!

We are now in our 65th year in 2018, and we look forward to continuing our golfing traditions well into the 21st century.